Your browser version is no longer supported, so you may experience issues while using this site.
Please upgrade to a current browser to enjoy the best experience.
Get Set Go Bake
Matt Golinski is a highly regarded, professional chef with a passion for creating cuisine using fresh, seasonal and local ingredients.
Well known as one of the original team members of the popular ‘Ready Steady Cook’ television series, Matt has worked as executive chef at some of Queensland’s leading restaurants over his 30 year career. Based on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast, Matt now enjoys working as a consulting chef to restaurants, being a regular guest chef at festivals and events and writing his popular food columns and blog. In March 2018, Matt joined the Peppers Noosa Resort team as the consultant chef for ‘View by Matt Golinski’ , developing menus that consolidate his knowledge and love of the producers of his region. In January 2020 the restaurant received its first chefs hat award from the Australian Good Food Guide.
Pastitsio (you may have seen it spelled as ‘pastichio’) is a baked pasta dish with ground meat and Béchamel sauce. Found in Greek, Egyptian, Turkish, Maltese and Cypriot cuisines, you simply need to try this absolute classic.
A perfect dish for freezing or enjoying as soon as its cooled, the Greek-Style Pastitsio is a great recipe to have under your belt.
A tip from Matt: any mince meat you choose to use will be fine, just make sure you’re seasoning with every step of the recipe for maximum flavour impact.
For a new spin on this classic dish, Chef Matt Golinski has created this baking delight - Pastitsio - Greek Style Lamb and Pasta Bake
Serves 6 – 8
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic
30ml olive oil
500g lamb mince
50g tomato paste
1 x 400g tin diced tomatoes
2tbs fresh oregano, roughly chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
250g penne pasta
Salt and pepper
2 cups milk
40 g butter
75g parmesan, grated
½ cup Greek yoghurt
- Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until soft.
- Add the lamb mince and fry over a medium heat until starting to brown.
- Add the tomato paste and stir over the heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, oregano and cinnamon and simmer for 30 minutes, topping up with water as necessary.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the penne in salted boiling water until just under-done (remembering that it’s going to be baked in the sauce so it will continue to cook)
- Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Mix the pasta through the lamb sauce and spread evenly into a deep sided baking dish.
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan until almost boiling.
- In a medium saucepan, stir the butter and flour over a medium heat until the butter melts and the mixture starts to bubble.
- Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly, until you have a smooth, thick sauce.
- Stir in half of the parmesan and set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the yoghurt and eggs and pour evenly over the pasta mixture to completely cover.
- Top with remaining parmesan and bake at 180°C for 35 -40 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Allow the pastitsio to cool for an hour or so before serving to let the pasta ‘set’.
Health & Wellbeing
Community & Relationships
Finance & Career
Learning & Development
Holidays & Entertainment
Never miss an update from Apia Good Life – subscribe today for inspiration, stories and offers to keep living life at its best. It's free!