Your browser version is no longer supported, so you may experience issues while using this site.
Please upgrade to a current browser to enjoy the best experience.
Mount Sinabung, Indonesia - Volcanic activity
Mt Sinabung, Indonesia experienced a significant eruption on the 19th of February 2018 and a dangerous ash cloud continues to emanate from the volcano. This eruption has triggered safety concerns for those in the area and Indonesian officials have issued flight warning at their highest level. This eruption follows significant recent volcanic activity and there is an expectation that it will continue.
As a consequence, we are now issuing a cover cut-off for claims arising from this known event.
For travel insurance policies purchased up to 1:00pm (AEDT) on 21st February 2018
If you have been affected by this event there may be provision for you to claim for benefits provided by your travel insurance policy. Claims will be assessed in accordance with your Product Disclosure Statement.
If you have already departed
- If your transport is directly affected because of the Mt Sinabung volcanic activity there is cover for reasonable additional transport and accommodation expenses.
- There is no cover if your existing travel plans are not directly affected by this volcanic activity.
- There is no cover available for any portions of your Journey that have been utilised.
If you have not yet departed
- If your pre-booked travel arrangements are cancelled, delayed or rescheduled because of the Mt Sinabung volcanic ash cloud you may be able to claim for cancellation or amendment of your journey.
- You must take all reasonable steps to mitigate your out of pocket expenses and we encourage you to speak with your travel agent or transport provider as soon as possible to minimise your out of pocket expenses.
For travel insurance policies purchased after 1:00pm (AEDT) on 21st February 2018
Cover is not available for claims arising from any volcanic activity at Mt Sinabung, including any new ash cloud events, as such events are no longer unforeseen
You should read the above information in conjunction with your PDS as certain terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply.
- For emergency medical or travel assistance call us 24/7 on +61 (7) 3305 7051 (reverse charges accepted)