Your browser version is no longer supported, so you may experience issues while using this site.
Please upgrade to a current browser to enjoy the best experience.
Get Set Go Bake
Individual Strawberry and Passionfruit Pavlovas
Matt Golinski is a highly regarded, professional chef with a passion for creating cuisine using fresh, seasonal and local ingredients.
Well known as one of the original team members of the popular ‘Ready Steady Cook’ television series, Matt has worked as executive chef at some of Queensland’s leading restaurants over his 30 year career. Based on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast, Matt now enjoys working as a consulting chef to restaurants, being a regular guest chef at festivals and events and writing his popular food columns and blog. In March 2018, Matt joined the Peppers Noosa Resort team as the consultant chef for ‘View by Matt Golinski’ , developing menus that consolidate his knowledge and love of the producers of his region. In January 2020 the restaurant received its first chefs hat award from the Australian Good Food Guide.
You’ll be hard-pressed to find an Aussie that doesn’t have fond memories of Pavlova. This NZ-invented, Australian-claimed recipe is so inventive, versatile and fresh that it never seems to go out of style.
A lot of different home cooks have a preferred way of baking this fan-favourite dessert, so we asked Chef Matt Golinksi to curate this divine twist on an old classic - Individual Strawberry and Passionfruit Pavlovas.
With a melody of dreamy meringue, strawberry and passionfruit, you simply must put time aside to try this yourself.
150g egg whites
300g castor sugar
2 punnets strawberries, sliced
¼ cup passionfruit pulp (about 3 passionfruit)
½ cup castor sugar
600ml thickened cream, whipped
½ cup mint or lemon balm leaves
Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 120°C.
- Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form, then slowly add the castor sugar and continue whisking until stiff and glossy.
- Fold in the cornflour and vinegar and scrape the mixture into a piping bag.
- Line two baking sheets with baking paper and pipe 6 balls of meringue mixture (about half the size of a tennis ball) on each tray, leaving plenty of space between each.
- Using the back of a wet spoon, make a small indent in the top of each ball to create a little ‘nest’.
- Bake for 1 hour, then turn off the oven and allow the Pavlovas to cool without opening the oven door.
- Place the passionfruit pulp, castor sugar and water in a small saucepan and simmer until the sugar has dissolved. Cool.
- Once the Pavlovas have completely cooled, fill the ‘nest’ of each with whipped cream and top with sliced strawberries.
- Transfer to serving plates and drizzle with passionfruit syrup, garnish with mint or lemon balm, and dust with icing sugar.
- Serve immediately.
Not an Apia customer and want to find out more?
Subscribe to our FREE Apia Good Life quarterly newsletter for information on our latest offers, stories and inspiration to keep living life at its best.
Health & Wellbeing
Community & Relationships
Finance & Career
Learning & Development
Holidays & Entertainment